Saturday, November 23, 2019

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun-- Thankful Genealogy Edition

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans: 

 It's Saturday Night again - 

time for some more Genealogy Fun!!


Here is your assignment, should you decide to accept it (you ARE reading this, so I assume that you really want to play along - cue the Mission Impossible music!):


1)  Think about the answers to these questions about your thankfulness for genealogy:
a.  Which ancestor are you most thankful for, and why?

b.  Which author (book, periodical, website, etc.) are you most thankful for, and why?

c.  Which historical record set (paper or website) are you most thankful for, and why?

2)  Tell us about it in a blog post of your own; in a comment to this blog post; or in a Facebook post.  Please leave a link in comments to your own blog post or Facebook post.

a.  The ancestor that I'm most thankful is my maternal grandmother because she recorded home movies from my younger years including my siblings, mother, and aunt. She also gave vital information about her birthdates of her to begin my journey.


b.  The author I most thankful for is Jennifer Holik. She has spent years studying military research and has written books about her ancestors. She does in-depth research about a client's family member from what she says "like nobody else". Holik even has services for writing stories, caregiving resources and more. Her resources have given me a starting point to my military research.



c.  One of the recordsets that I am thankful for is the National Archives  (USA). Volunteers spent time out of their day (like FamilySearch, go FamilySearch!) to digitize record groups such as the Civil War Widows Pension Files. The Library of Congress has a wealth of information too.



Happy Holidays, everyone!





1 comment:

  1. The National Archives is a great record set, although I think very underused by most researchers as we seem to only gravitate towards the NARA military records. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete